Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Michelle's tips for living greener


Hi All,

Well, with Earth Day here today, I think it's time I got to posting this blog!

There are many ways that we can help out our planet that don't take much time, effort, or money. In most cases, you will save money if you try some of these little tips.

- Reusable coffee and juice cups

As little as a couple of years ago, I sent juice boxes with my kids to school. I soon realized it didn't take much more effort to fill three reusable juice boxes in the morning, so I switched and no longer purchase juice boxes. Same thing goes for coffee cups. MOST of the time I can remember to take mine with me in the car, so if I want to stop for a coffee, I have my own cup, and I also save 10 cents if I purchase it at Tim Horton's. This leads me to my next tip....


- Don't drive thru

Although we still eat out and buy coffee, etc., I no longer use the drive thru. By getting off my fat you-know-what and walking into the store, I am usually saving myself time by not waiting in the drive thru, and I am wasting less gas and putting out a little less emissions.


- Buy used

I purchase alot of clothing, games, books, you name it at second hand stores. I can get great deals, and give something a second chance at life, instead of heading to a landfill.


- Turn off the lights

We all saw what a huge effect Earth Hour had on our planet. If we turn off lights when not needed, we can again save money and harmful emissions.


- Buy Local

I know it's not possible to buy all things local all the time, but do it when you can. We are lucky here on Boularderie Island to be able to buy fresh eggs as well as tomatoes and cucumbers from Eyking Farms all year round. In the summer, you can get all kinds of locally grown fruits and vegetables from Hank's Family Farm. We can also get fresh strawberries from Rendell's and Quinn's Farms. All on our doorstep. We have to eat imported fruits and veggies all winter, so it's nice to be able to buy local, fresh produce when the season allows, and it's a great way to support your local economy!


- Don't litter!!!!!!!!

I saved this one for last because it seems like a no brainer, but sadly, every spring we see the evidence emerging that the snow has covered all winter. I am always surprised to think about and sometimes SEE people throwing from their cars everything from cigarette butts to McDonald's bags stuffed with garbage! Where do they think this will end up? I'll tell you. It ends up ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD YOU THREW IT ON!!! So please, this is the easiest of all....don't litter.


So you can see that these are very easy things that cost nothing to implement, require very little effort, yet can make a big difference. And if you're like me and occasionally forget your coffee cup, forgive yourself because you are trying. And a little effort can go a long way to make a cleaner, greener planet.

Until next time,

Michelle

No comments: