Sunday, March 16, 2008

Are you there Spring? It's me, Michelle.



Dear Spring,

I know in the past that I've complained and even cursed your sticky, dirty mud that covers the kid’s shoes, jackets, and occasionally hair, but can't we PLEASE put that behind us? Please?

These past few years I've been hard on you Spring, and I'm ashamed to admit it. I have a new appreciation of you after living through this long, cold, snow covered winter. I can't wait for you to arrive so I can open the windows and feel your cool breeze flow through the house. Or to hang out laundry on your beautiful (yet still cool) sunny days and not have it freeze solid. My back will thank you when I no longer need to carry 40 pound bags of wood pellets into the house. I can't wait to be able to take out my bike, my golf clubs, my sneakers......oh Spring, how I long for you.

I know that you're as anxious as I am to arrive. I've caught a glimpse of you a couple of times. This past week I was able to drive up the driveway without silently praying or cursing for the first time in months. Just the other day I spotted some of your sweet little buds on the trees in the yard.

Don't be afraid Spring, this year I promise to take advantage of every cool, sweet day that you are willing to give me. I will drink my morning coffee on my deck, even if I have to wear my winter coat as long as I don't have to look at the dirty mountains of snow in the yard and worry if more will come. I will ride my bike over the pot holes on the road and not complain because I'll be thankful that you melted the snow. I will silently thank you every time I tee off on the first hole...and every hole after if you'd just show yourself to me.

There's something in it for you too, Spring. This year, more than any other, people will be thrilled to see you. They are sick of shoveling, sick of cold weather, and are anxiously awaiting your arrival. March came in like a lion, so can you help us out and let it go out like a lamb?

Signed,

Michelle Symes

No comments: