Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Mock Holiday






Hi All,

On the grand scale of "holidays" Valentine's Day is at the very bottom for me. I enjoy Groundhog Day more than Valentine's Day. Top of the list is my birthday and Halloween. Even though my parents have forgotten my birthday on occasion ( I forgive them because they weren't actually *there* for the actual birth day, I'm adopted-although after so many years you’d think they’d remember) and my Grandfather died on my birthday, I enjoy it 100 times more than Valentines Day.

So you can imagine my surprise when Son #1 came up to me and asked me to take him shopping for Valentine's Day.

The conversation kind of went like this:

Me (Completely puzzled, because Son #1 has clearly inherited his Mother's "cheap" gene) "What do you mean you need to go shopping for Valentine's Day?"

Son #1 ”I want to buy something for (we'll call her Mary) Mary."

As my husband picked me up off the floor, we tried to explain to our oldest son *who's only 11* why we don't give each other gifts for Valentine's Day.

Husband ”There are many reasons....I don't need a special day to tell your Mom I love her, I tell her every day." *And that's true, he really does.*

Son #1 (Clearly ga ga over Mary) "But it's Valentines Day!"

Husband "Your Mother and I decided a long time ago that we don't believe in Valentine's Day." *True, by the way*

Son #1 (To me) "So when can you take me shopping?" *YIKES*

Me (Joking of course, the kid makes Scrooge look like a philanthropist) "What does your Mom get from you for Valentines Day?"

Son #1 "The privilege of driving me to the mall to go shopping." *I kid you not, that's what he said.... in case you've forgotten, HE'S E-L-E-V-E-N!!!*

Mom "Son, when you're married, you don't celebrate Valentine's Day anymore, you celebrate your anniversary." (I am clearly not prepared for this conversation)

Son #1 "Huh."

In our house, my husband and I call Valentine's Day the "Mock holiday". We stopped buying gifts for each other for Valentine's Day years ago. And there are many reasons, mainly the fact that I think getting a chocolate heart with 6 tiny chocolates inside (which would be gobbled up by three kids in 5 seconds) that cost $10 is a ridiculous waste of money when I could buy at least 10 yummy Hershey bars for the same price -not that I would, of course. Add that to the fact that I'm cheap...remember? And I think with cheap goes low maintenance, because I'm that, too. I do LOVE to get flowers, and my husband is much better than he used to be about buying me flowers. I don't need flowers that cost twice as much on Valentine's Day compared to other times of the year (and die a day later, I might add) to arrive here on Feb 14th. I got flowers just last week, before the Valentine's mark up. My husband clearly knows the way to this cheap girl's heart.

Anyway, whether you celebrate it or not, Happy Mock Holiday to all of you!

Until next time,

Michelle

1 comment:

Lianne MacNeil said...

Totally irrelevant but your blog is so pretty! I wish I would have done this template. Maybe I'll change.....
Lianne ;)